Don’t lose your progress!

We cover every section of the GMAT with in-depth lessons, 5000+ practice questions and realistic practice tests.

Up to 100+ points GMAT score improvement guarantee

The best guarantee you’ll find

Our Premium and Ultimate plans guarantee up to 100+ points score increase or your money back.

Master each section of the test

Comprehensive GMAT prep

We cover every section of the GMAT with in-depth lessons, 5000+ practice questions and realistic practice tests.

Schedule-free studying

Learn on the go

Study whenever and wherever you want with our iOS and Android mobile apps.

The most effective way to study

Personalized GMAT prep, just for you!

Adaptive learning technology focuses on your academic weaknesses.

Sentence Correction: Subject Verb Agreement Questions - Overview

What is the subject of the following sentence?

Out of Martin Luther King's vision and Rosa Parks's courage has come true a better reality.

Excellent!

 Identifying the subject becomes easier if we change the word order of the sentence: 

A better reality has come true out of Martin Luther King's vision and Rosa Parks's courage.

While reality is part of the subject, it's not all of it.

While it is true that in 95% of the cases, the subject comes BEFORE the verb, there are cases in which the order is reversed and the subject comes AFTER the verb. This is one of these rare cases. How can we identify the subject in these cases? We know that the subject and the verb must agree in number. The verb has is singular. Therefore, the subject must also be singular.

Out of Martin Luther King's vision and Rosa Parks's courage is not singular. Furthermore, if we change the verb has to plural (i.e., have), this part will not be affected. However, the subject of the sentence must be affected since it needs to agree with the verb in number.

Changing the word order of the sentence will make identifying the subject easier: 

A better reality has come true out of Martin Luther King's vision and Rosa Parks's courage.

The subject and the verb  should agree in number. Since the verb has is singular, the subject must also be singular. However, the phrase Martin Luther King's vision and Rosa Parks's courage is plural (X and Y).

The subject and the verb  should agree in number. Since the verb has is singular, the subject must also be singular. However, the phrase Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks is plural (X and Y).

In 95% of GMAT sentences, the subject is what comes before the first verb, except what is separated from the verb by a comma. in the remaining 5% of the cases, the subject appears after the verb. Rosa Parks's courage fits neither case. It does not come after the verb, and it is not everything that appears before the verb

In 95% of GMAT sentences, the subject is what comes before the first verb, except what is separated from the verb by a comma. in the remaining 5% of the cases, the subject appears after the verb. Rosa Parks King fits neither case. It does not come after the verb, and it is not everything that appears before the verb

In 95% of GMAT sentences, the subject is what comes before the first verb, except what is separated from the verb by a comma. in the remaining 5% of the cases, the subject appears after the verb. Martin Luther King's vision fits neither case. It does not come after the verb, and it is not everything that appears before the verb

In 95% of GMAT sentences, the subject is what comes before the first verb, except what is separated from the verb by a comma. in the remaining 5% of the cases, the subject appears after the verb. Martin Luther King fits neither case. It does not come after the verb, and it is not everything that appears before the verb

Martin Luther King
Martin Luther King's vision
Rosa Parks
Rosa Parks's courage
Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks
Martin Luther King's vision and Rosa Parks's courage
Out of Martin Luther King's vision and Rosa Parks's courage
reality
a better reality