Don’t lose your progress!

We cover every section of the GMAT with in-depth lessons, 5000+ practice questions and realistic practice tests.

Up to 100+ points GMAT score improvement guarantee

The best guarantee you’ll find

Our Premium and Ultimate plans guarantee up to 100+ points score increase or your money back.

Master each section of the test

Comprehensive GMAT prep

We cover every section of the GMAT with in-depth lessons, 5000+ practice questions and realistic practice tests.

Schedule-free studying

Learn on the go

Study whenever and wherever you want with our iOS and Android mobile apps.

The most effective way to study

Personalized GMAT prep, just for you!

Adaptive learning technology focuses on your academic weaknesses.

Critical Reasoning: Inference Questions

65% of women with a bifid uterus, a uterus which is divided into two lateral horns as a result of imperfect fusion of the paramesonephric ducts, give birth prematurely. However, 95% of prematurely born infants are born to mothers whose uterus is not bifid.

The statements above, if true, best support which of the following as a conclusion?

Correct!

[[snippet]]

The argument's premises tell us that only 5% or less of premature births are from women with a bifid uterus, and this would constitute a much smaller number out of all births (both premature and non-premature). We can therefore infer that this condition is rare (only a very small number of women have it).

If the condition were common, we could expect to see many more premature births caused by it, because we know 65% with this condition give birth prematurely (premise 1).

Incorrect.

[[snippet]]

The data in this answer choice is outside the scope of the argument. Neither one of the premises mentions the factor of birth weight.

Incorrect.

[[snippet]]

This statement is not supported by any of the information in the premises.

Incorrect.

[[snippet]]

While this answer choice describes a generalization that might be true, it is not supported by any of the information given in the premises. Although the premises tell us that 95% of births are not from women with a bifid uterus, we do not have information as to what are the causes for the other 5% - whether those are physiological or not. Other aspects of the physiology of birth mothers might conceivably be responsible for all the other premature births - we simply do not know form the argument alone.

There is a better, more accurate answer choice out there. Did you read all the answer choices before you picked this one?

Well, you should have.

According to the Critical Reasoning Work Order, you should scan the remaining answer choices after you found the answer choice you think is correct. This ensures you don't miss other answer choices which may be better.

Remember - on the GMAT, the correct answer choice is the best answer choice, not just any correct answer choice. There is an answer for this question that's better than the one you picked - look for it!

Good - that's what you should have done.

According to the Critical Reasoning Work Order, you should scan the remaining answer choices after you found the answer choice you think is correct. This ensures you don't miss other answer choices which may be better.

However, it seems like you did miss a better answer choice in this question. Look for it!

Incorrect.

[[snippet]]

This answer choice is not supported by the premises, since, as harsh as it may seem, whether the infant lives or dies is outside the scope of this argument. Focus on the information provided by the premises.

15% of women with a bifid uterus end up losing the fetus.
Some causes of premature birth reside in factors other than the physiology of the birth mother
A bifid uterus is not necessarily hereditary.
The birth weight of premature infants whose mothers have a bifid uterus is lower than that of premature infants whose mothers do not have a bifid uterus.
A bifid uterus is an uncommon condition among women.
Yes
No